Diamonds have captivated our hearts and minds for centuries, with their brilliant sparkle and unmatched durability. As you search for the perfect diamond, it's essential to understand the various shapes that these precious gems can take.
Each diamond shape has its unique characteristics and appeal, and the right choice can elevate your jewelry to new heights. In this comprehensive guide, we'll explore the most popular diamond shapes, their pros and cons, and offer tips to help you find the perfect gem for any occasion.
5 Different Shapes of Diamonds:
Round Brilliant Cut Diamonds
Round brilliant cut diamonds are the quintessential choice for those seeking classic beauty and timeless elegance. Boasting 58 facets, this shape offers unmatched brilliance and sparkle. It's also the most popular diamond shape, accounting for around 75% of diamonds sold worldwide.
- Superior light performance and sparkle
- Timeless and versatile design
- Easy to find and widely available
- Can be more expensive due to high demand
- Less unique compared to other shapes
Princess Cut Diamonds
Characterized by its square or rectangular shape, the princess cut is a modern favorite for engagement rings. Its sharp corners and symmetrical facets create a bold and contemporary look, while still offering impressive brilliance.
- Modern and stylish design
- Retains more carat weight during cutting
- Excellent sparkle and light performance
- Corners can be prone to chipping
- Less classic and traditional than round brilliant
Oval Cut Diamonds
Oval diamonds are an elegant and sophisticated choice, offering a unique twist on the traditional round shape. Their elongated silhouette creates the illusion of a larger stone, making them an excellent option for those seeking a more substantial appearance.
- Elongated shape can create a slimming effect on the finger
- Unique yet timeless design
- Exceptional brilliance and light performance
- May exhibit a "bow-tie" effect in poorly cut stones
- Less common, so fewer options when shopping
Cushion Cut Diamonds
The cushion cut, also known as the "pillow cut," features a soft, rounded square or rectangular shape with rounded corners. This vintage-inspired shape has regained popularity in recent years, offering a romantic and unique alternative to more traditional shapes.
- Unique and romantic design
- Excellent fire and brilliance
- Versatile for various settings and styles
- Less popular, so fewer options available
- May appear smaller than other shapes of the same carat weight
Emerald Cut Diamonds
Emerald cut diamonds are characterized by their elongated rectangular shape and step-cut faceting. They offer a sophisticated, vintage-inspired look, with a focus on clarity and luster over sparkle.
- Elegant and timeless design
- Highlights clarity and luster of the diamond
- Elongated shape can appear larger on the finger
- Less brilliance and sparkle compared to other shapes
- Inclusions are more visible due to the large table
When selecting the perfect diamond shape for your jewelry, it's essential to consider factors like personal style, the gem's characteristics, and the overall design. From the classic round brilliant to the unique cushion cut, there's a diamond shape for every taste and occasion. Use this guide to explore the dazzling world of diamond shapes, and let your choice shine as bright as the gem itself.